Thursday, August 04, 2005

A mental step back

Today I got up at 6:30 am, got a shower, got Ben dressed and was out the door by 7:15. Without Ben of course. Do you really think I could get ready that fast with a child in tow? I think not! My wonderful husband is dropping him off at my mother-in law's while I drive up to North Jersey (somewhere) to drop off a display. All I know is that I went past Rutgers and kept going about another 1/2 hour. I'm the chair for the NJ Soil and Water Conservation Society's display comittee. Whoa! Exciting and heady stuff for this stay-at-home Mom! (Ha!)

It was quite exciting (and tempting) at first. Listening to our local Christian staton, enjoying a quiet car, having some alone-time (a precious commodity among stay-at-homers), and then.......I hit traffic. About 45 minutes of stop-and-go. Before I knew it, "COME ON!" and "WOULD YOU MOVE OVER SO I CAN PASS!!" was escaping this mouth that had been singing praise songs only moments before. I had to take a mental step back and assess the situation. I think God was shaking his head at me at me at that moment saying, "You see! What makes you think that you know what is best for your life?? I've kept you at home to protect you and Ben, so he can have a happy healthy Mom at home!" I'm glad HE's directing my path and not me!

2 comments:

Laney said...

New Brunswick traffic, o bane of my existence!!

I know what you mean, we are dumb sheep. God teaches us a lesson, clearly shows us His will and then -boom - we have to learn it all over again.

Elaine, a really dumb sheep! :-)

Meg said...

I know....Sometimes I feel like, not only a sheep, but a lamb! He is so patient with me!